Serving Our Society: New Club Has Desire to Help

Image by http://www.v2.newcov.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ServingOthers.jpg

Serving Our Society (S.O.S.) is a new club inspired to promote awareness and make a difference in the world.

The club, sponsored by Jay Krishnan, is led by Saheel Chodavadia (president), Pranav Pradhan (treasurer), Cara Courtney (vice president), Shiv Sheth (secretary) and Max Carls (Web design). The leaders of the club all happen to be freshmen.

“Being that we are freshman enables us to have the rest of our high school years to be focused on evolving and improving the club,” Pradhan said. “It makes me feel responsible and accomplished due to my class status and somewhat successful attempt to help others, regarding the creation of the new club.”

The club’s goal is based on improving the environment through the act of community and global service. Volunteering at soup kitchens, walks and fundraising are some examples as to what the club aspires to be active in.

“We want to help the unfortunate and give them the ability to have certain opportunities that they may not be able to have without others help,” Pradhan said. “We have already started a food drive in which all the proceeds will be given to Caritas House. The food drive is ending on May 2, and all help and support that is received is greatly appreciated.”

The club also offers peer tutoring in several different subjects, including core courses and even SAT prep.

As their sponsor, Krishnan encourages the growth of Serving Our Society.

“Even though I am quite busy with other activities, I decided to become sponsor because I felt that it was a good idea that was based on good nature,” science teacher and tennis coach Krishnan said. “My decision was tied in with the fact that I support their intention of doing good.”

The club’s long-range goal is to expand their branches from McNeil to other high schools and middle schools to increase the amount of service in the community.

Serving Our Society can be contacted on Facebook at McNeil Serving Our Society or by email [email protected]. Future meeting dates, April 30 and May 14, will be held in room L100 beginning every other Tuesday at 4:10pm.