Tips for Applying for First Job

Applying for your first job can be tough. A lot of places require prior experience in the workforce, but teens have to start somewhere. Here are a few tips about applying for that first job to make sure students have the best possible chance to land it.

• Talk about everything you do: Explain on your application that you are heavily involved in school activities. If you’re on the basketball team, talk about the commitment that takes, and that you’re no stranger to being part of a team. If you’re in theater, talk about the productions you’ve been in and about the commitment that takes. Sell yourself. Don’t make yourself seem like a bum. Companies like people who keep themselves busy and well rounded.

• Mention experience relevant to the job you’re applying to: Even if you haven’t actually been paid in any capacity, talk about experience you have in other areas. If you’re applying for a child care position, talk about babysitting for people, or keeping tabs on your younger siblings or cousins. If you’re applying for a sales position, talk about stuff you’ve sold for school fundraisers in the past. Make sure companies know that you’re no stranger to work similar to what you’re applying for.

• Don’t apply to your favorite store: If you have no prior experience, odds are you won’t be getting hired at your favorite boutique store or your favorite shoe store in the mall. The payroll isn’t as big at these stores, and therefore jobs are extremely competitive, making it next to impossible to get a job if you have no prior experience. Instead, apply to places with a large workforce like HEB or Lifetime Fitness, who are always constantly hiring people. These types of places are great for experience so maybe down the road you can get that job at your favorite store.

• Tell them you have few scheduling conflicts: Make yourself available. When you’re applying, don’t say you need days off every week. Companies like people who are readily available and are free to work whenever.

Applying these tips to your job application will help you land that first job, which is a stepping stone to the rest of your life. The most important thing is selling yourself. Make yourself a presentable person. Don’t be shy in your interview either.