A Parents Day at School

Administration and staff hosted Open House Sept. 12 for parents to meet their child’s teachers.

Principal John Yonker started the night by introducing this year’s theme of “Let’s get connected,” and briefed parents about the school’s academic achievements.

Parents received their child’s schedule and attended each class for a 10-minute period. ROTC and Student Council members were available to help parents locate classrooms.

“The teachers are so wonderful,” Tonda Turner, mother of sophomore Katherine Turner, said. “They’re warm, informative and very well prepared.”

The majority of parents interviewed thought it was a good idea for them to meet the teachers and know that their child is in good hands.

“We don’t want the teachers to have all the responsibility of raising our child academically, we want to be part of it,”  Michael Hintz, parent of Matthew and Andrew HIntz, said.

Teachers used PowerPoint presentations and handouts to explain their classes and had side conversations with the parents.

“Interaction with parents is a good thing for teachers to do,” Geometry teacher Richard Stokes said. “It not only gives faces to emails but it gives us an idea of where the student is coming from. Good interaction with parents makes good interaction with students.”

Teachers encouraged parents to get a Home Access Center (HAC) account, but parents of senior Zachary McCartney don’t like it.

“We don’t like it,” Dana McCartney said. “Not because it’s flawed or anything but because it creates too many arguments. As parents, we want the best for our child and ‘stalking’ their grades is not helping them with anything. They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. If we take it for them, how will they survive out in the real world?”

Zachary’s parents have attended Open House for the past four years

“It was a great and successful night,” Flo Vega, mother of freshman Unique Jones, said. “Open house is a great way to be involved with the student’s academic life. You get more information on what goes on, why it happens, and the good things that come out of it.”