Website Gives Students, Sponsors a Place to Organize Service, Volunteer Hours

A free online organization connecting students to life-changing opportunities and a way of recording volunteer hours was introduced to MHS clubs earlier this semester.

“I believe that when students are more involved with their school then they will do better in school and overall in life,” National Honor Society sponsor Karol Giblin said. “Even statistics show that when students are involved they do much better.”
Giblin learned about UGIVE.org at a summer conference.

UGIVE.org is free nonprofit organization platform that can help students establish a community of “life-long givers.”

In 2007, UGIVE founders created a site focused on students by providing them with access to find volunteer opportunities that correlate with their schedule, skills, and/or passion. The site brings volunteers together in various youth-oriented opportunities and provides a place to record service hours and awards.

Whether students volunteer to make a difference in their community, meet a school’s requirements, embellish a college or scholarship application, fulfill a school club service requirement, or just achieve personal goals, UGIVE is a free and easy way to help them do great deeds.
“The site has not necessarily attracted more volunteers, but it allows students to keep up with opportunities,” Key Club sponsor Dan Nguyen said.
Giblin said it has been a bit of struggle to share this online platform with NHS members, but hopes that one day they will embrace it. She also envisions the school district using this Website to its advantage by encouraging students to be more involved and develop a sense of leadership.

“Using UGIVE can be very helpful,” junior Felix Zhang said. “However, it can be frustrating because you have to sign up beforehand to work an event. If you forget, then you do not get credit for the volunteer hours.”

UGIVE provides students with access to join posted volunteer opportunities with nonprofits or schools. A verified service resume is available to print for use to meet school requirements, jobs and college applications.

“I think the website is useful and will cut down on much of the paperwork we have to do in order to keep track of all the volunteer hours our ROTC cadets perform,” MSgt. Royce Claywell said. “It’s going to be very easy to transfer the information from our unit to the Air Force and then to Congress for verification of volunteer hours.”

ROTC students must perform six hours of community service each six weeks.

“The website will hopefully help find more service opportunities for the cadets to attend,” Claywell said.

In addition, it is possible to earn a Jefferson Award, a prestigious national recognition system honoring community and public service in America. Students can earn the Jefferson Award through their volunteer hours logged on UGIVE.org, and a “Hall of Fame” school status.

“UGIVE helps build a sense of leadership and time management because students have to keep up with joining service events in a timely manner,” Zhang said.
UGIVE.org takes several measures to ensure the safety and privacy of their members by making information about students available only to their classmates and teachers. Because UGIVE is 100 percent focused on students, parents, teachers and schools know that the volunteer opportunities are appropriate for students.

“UGIVE.org makes philanthropy relevant, fun and interesting to the younger generation by encouraging students to find their passion through volunteering,” Joe Hansbauer, former executive director of UGIVE, said.