Filed under News

Thinking Outside The Box

Alternate learning environment becomes reality through cooperation

After completing the outdoor classroom in the center courtyard, senior Luke Guajardo tries out the benches. As his Eagle Scout project, Guajardo partnered with Environmental Science teacher Tina Vick, who had the the vision to create an alternate learning environment for all courses to use.

Luke Guajardo

Luke Guajardo

The concept of an outdoor classroom had been a dream of Environmental Science teacher Tina Vick for quite a while.
“I have had this idea for a long time,” Vick said. “I hope students and teachers will benefit from the space by allowing flexible seating in an outdoor setting.”
After receiving a grant to create this resource, Vick teamed up with Eagle Scout candidate senior Luke Guajardo to build the classroom.
“My favorite part was the actual building of the classroom,” Guajardo said. “I have never done anything like that before and so it taught me how to bring people together and get something done.”
This was possible through a $7,500 grant and supplies Luke’s family members donated for the cause.
“My favorite part of the process was working with Luke,” Vick said. “He and I had to come up with a plan that would work in the space.”
The outdoor classroom is located in the courtyard space off the main mall and can be reserved by teachers.
“This experience taught me the importance of being exact with numbers and how to lead a group of people,” Guajardo said.