Society Draws More Attention to Inner Beauty

Feeling beautiful is something that is important to most girls, but it’s also a feeling that is difficult to achieve. With all the commercialization, advertisements and unhealthily thin models in the world, it’s understandable why girls have such an unrealistic image of beauty.

The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty is a campaign that encourages young girls to be comfortable in the skin they’re in. It teaches them that the women they see on TV and on billboards aren’t a realistic vision of what true beauty is. I think it’s great that Dove is showing girls that they don’t need to be a size zero with perfect hair and flawless skin to feel pretty. It’s sad that girls have been influenced that way and now it’s incredibly difficult to make them think otherwise.

A video created by Dove called “Dove Evolution” is an online video that shows the step-by-step process of how much work goes into making a woman look perfect for a billboard. The video shows how much make up they put on a model’s face and how much they do to her hair and how much Photoshopping is done before she is fit to be put on the billboard. That video is a perfect display of how fake the world of beauty really is. It’s unfair that girls should feel self-conscious when that is their idea of “perfect.” It would be impossible to do all of that every day, especially considering there is no Photoshop in real life.

Society should rethink the way it perceives women because all it leads to is disappointment and low self-esteem. The world would be a happier place if people were taught from the beginning that they don’t have to look like a toothpick to be beautiful.