The 411 of Tipping

Tipping is a gesture we give servers at restaurants we eat at when we go out. It is one of the most underrated gestures in our society today.The New York Times reports that in 2004, the average amount of tips left at restaurants was 18.6 percent, which has gone up from about 16 percent in the 1990s. The standard percentage for tipping a server is about 15 percent to 20 percent.Wait staff at restaurants make less than minimum wage and rely on their tips in order to make the bulk of their pay for the day.

It’s not only at sit-down restaurants that we should be tipping, though. Carhops at drive-in fast food places such as Sonic also make less than minimum wage. Any place where someone brings your food, you should leave a tip for them. This includes pizza delivery. Tipping doesn’t have to just be when people bring your food to you though, many restaurants will set out tip-jars at the cash register for customers to leave a tip for them.

The Huffington Post, an Internet business newspaper, reports that in 2012 minimum wage for restaurant servers stood at about $3.13 an hour before tips. If they work eight hours, then they only make about $22 before tips.

We need to focus on what we are leaving for the server when we leave the restaurant or when we pay at places like Sonic. Some people will say that they don’t tip a lot of the time because they don’t feel like the server deserves it.

In reality, they do. Most of the time they are trying their best to serve you to the best of their ability. Even if they don’t do a fantastic job, they still deserve a little bit. You have to put yourself in the position of the server: How would you feel if someone left without leaving a tip for you at all.