You Know You’re A Freshman When…

Welcome+to+McNeil%2C+freshman.+
Image by Sam Gutierrez
Welcome to McNeil, freshman.

Hello fellow Mavs. Being a senior, it’s fair to look back on my time here and think about what makes McNeil, well, McNeil. Since we all start the journey of high school as freshmen, let’s address what is distinctive of the freshman class at McNeil.

First off, you know you’re a freshman when the classes are hard. Let’s face it; biology, world geography, and geometry are tough classes. This is especially true when freshmen going into their first year don’t understand the rigor of Pre-AP classes and take multiple advanced courses. It’s impossible to forget staying up until the wee hours of the morning trying to write an essay over Animal Farm, create a model of a plant cell, and text the person you have a crush on all at the same time. To say the least, high school is as hard as it is in the TV shows.

But before freshmen even start their day at school, they probably have to take the bus. While the days of bus riding in middle school were fun, high school is the complete opposite. It takes longer to get home every day, and watching the upperclassmen drive their cars past you on Parmer is painful. Really painful. But hey, enjoy that moment when your bus blocks all the sophomores from leaving the PAC. It’s a small victory reserved for the bus riders. The independence you thought you gained by being in high school is lost when you’re stuck asking your mom for a ride everywhere, even for your first dates. Don’t worry freshmen, 16 will come soon enough, and yes, it will be the best day of your life.

Another aspect of being a freshman that is both a blessing and a curse is that everything feels new. New classes, new hallways, and most importantly, new students. It becomes overwhelming when a freshman tries to meet new people while remain tight with middle school friends. Just a piece of advice, don’t abandon the people who you can trust. Making new friends is great, but it’s important to remain true to yourself. Also, when relationships start to strain, keep in mind that high school will end at one point, and the chance to start fresh will present itself again.

If there is one place a freshman can go to meet people and participate, it’s a varsity football game. No matter what is happening on the field, people always have school spirit, and the game provides a place for you and your friends to hang out. And at the end of the football game, when it’s time to hook pinkies for the school song, just do it freshmen. No matter how awkward you feel or how silly you think it looks, it’s what makes McNeil unique and unites you with your peers and school. We are all Mavericks and we all ride for the brand.

Buckle up freshmen, it’s going to be a memorable one.