Filed under Cross-Fire, Opinion

Class Rank Beneficial To All

UT Austin now only permits the top 8% of students to qualify for automatic admission as the competition for class rank heats up.

In high schools across America, there is a system known as class rank. There has been much debate in Texas if the system is a good measure of a student, and some districts have adopted the system to only have the top 10  percent know their rank while everyone else is unaware of their spot. While some people feel that the rank system is unfair, I think it benefits the learning process, as well as the admission process for universities. Most public colleges automatically accept the top 10 percent, while some of the more prestigious schools only honor the top 8 percent.

The greatest benefit of the class rank system is the competition it encourages. When students know that a good rank will get them into the university that they want, there is a motivation to improve their grades. One thing people are unaware of is how rank is determined. GPA is calculated through all classes on a four point scale, while RIC (Rank-in-Class) is based off of a student’s academic average. Academic average is calculated through grades in core and language classes on a five-point scale. So grades in electives do not affect a student’s rank.

Another argument is that rank does not determine a student’s intelligence and therefore it is not fair. This side of the issue is correct: rank does not determine intelligence. Rank is based off grades, and in most classes getting a good grade doesn’t mean being “smart,” it means putting in an effort and getting the work done. Everyone has an equal shot at being in the top 10 percent and benefiting from automatic admissions, but few people actually recognize this opportunity and take advantage of it.

When colleges accept students based on their rank, they are recognizing the students’ work ethic and success in school,  and as such, is a fair judgment for who should be admitted. Some people think that not being in the top 10 percent will ruin their chances to go to a good college. However, other factors such as SAT scores, GPA, extracurricular activities, and college essays can get a student accepted as well.

Some would argue that a bad rank can hurt a student’s self esteem and make them do worse in school. A rank is a measurement of work ethic and motivation. If a student doesn’t try their hardest and gets a low rank, then they should be inclined to change their ways and try harder, not feel sorry for themselves.

Class rank is an easy way to recognize and identify students for their hard work and dedication to learning. Students have many responsibilities in high school, and if a student can balance these and maintain good grades, they deserve a rank that allows them to attend a good university. If rank was taken away, then there would be little determination for students who want to get a higher education. Competition brings out the best in students.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Class Rank Beneficial To All”

1. Jordan Hahne on December 11th, 2012 10:47 am

When you say prestigious do you mean just the state school? Come on Bro…

[Reply]

2. Jocelyn on February 7th, 2013 7:52 pm

“Class rank is an easy way to recognize and identify students for their hard work and dedication to learning. Students have many responsibilities in high school, and if a student can balance these and maintain good grades, they deserve a rank that allows them to attend a good university.”

While that may be true, I’d just like to state the fact that there’s a lot of rampant cheating going on in school because of class rank.

[Reply]

*

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Entertainment

The Show Starts Now

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

News

Fidget spinners spur frenzy

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Entertainment

A Tale as Old as Time

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

News

Leading the Pack

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Entertainment

Partners in Crime

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

News

Engineering Competes at TEAMS

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Entertainment

Shock Value vs. Honest Portrayal

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Showcase

Lady Mavs Finish Season with Win

• Class Rank Beneficial To All

Entertainment

Majestic Nationals

• Event Recaps

Students Recognized in Secondary Art Show

Class Rank Beneficial To All