Senioritis Just an Excuse, Not a Disease

At the end of the first semester senior year, or the beginning of the second semester, students typically fall into a recurring state of laziness known as “senioritis.”

Urban Dictionary defines the disease as “A crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as Graduation.”

Some may accept this state, while others may try to avoid it. Yet many will be dragged down by already affected friends. So how do you avoid the stereotypical effects of senior year?

First things first, you should ask yourself why? Why should I stop doing my best work? Where will this get me?

Some will argue that there is no point in working hard when there is no consequence (once they have been accepted into college, because that is, after all, the point). This is a poor state of mind, however. You should always do your best, because once you decide not to, it becomes easy to stop altogether, which is how senioritis got its nickname. Your actions in high school actually continue on into college, until something causes it to change.

On the aspect of college acceptance, some universities actually place conditions on your acceptance, pending your final transcript from second semester. Not all colleges will, but this is no excuse to stop doing homework and stop caring, because it weakens your future ability to work hard and your reputation for responsability. It is much harder to put in an extra effort when you come from doing none than it is to continue your work ethic and decide to work even harder.

Ultimately, senioritis is a choice, not an excuse to tell your teacher when you don’t turn something in, and definitely not a disease you can’t shake off. Just remember, before you let yourself slip on one assignment, is it worth it in the end on that final transcript, or for your reputation? Join in this cheese fest by saying, “be above the crowd,” and wow everyone by going an extra mile, instead of doing less.