STAAR Test Doesn’t Shine in Student’s Eyes

STAAR+testing+has+started+up+and+has+caused+problems+for+students.+
STAAR testing has started up and has caused problems for students.

As we all know, STAAR testing began last week. As a sophomore, part of that unlucky class that get all the short ends of the sticks, I had to take these tests and can say that they bring many disadvantages to those graduating in 2015 and after. With its unfair differences from TAKS tests and schedule disruptions such as relocation of classes and missing lessons, STAAR is a negative experience for everyone who has to take it.

One of the most upsetting things about STAAR is that it is much harder than TAKS. In preparation for the English II Reading STAAR, I took practice tests online: one TAKS and one STAAR. After completing both, I noticed that the STAAR was much harder than the TAKS preparation test. Then to top it all off, I remembered that STAAR is a timed test with a maximum of four hours to complete.

Another difference between TAKS and STAAR is that some STAAR tests are on the computer. At first I was open to the idea, but once my computer froze during my geography STAAR last year, I saw all the negative sides to online testing. Taking the tests on the computer limits your character count on written answers and your ability to eat during the test (which is a bad move to make on high school students).

However, I must admit that taking the English tests on the computer is beneficial because it allows you to view the test questions and the passages at the same time. Another feature that I like about the online testing is the “flag for review” button, which helps you mark a question you want to double check so you can find it later.

Other than its differences from TAKS, STAAR testing has caused many scheduling problems for students and teachers as well. For example, I have friends who had STAAR testing while their classes, which contain upperclassmen, continued on without them. This forces people to have to make up classes and try to catch up for missing a lesson because of a test they probably didn’t even want to take.

Teachers were affected by the testing schedule also. Because classrooms had to be used for testing, many teachers were relocated, adding to the confusion. Also, teachers lost at least two days of teaching this week, forcing them to have to rush lessons before or after testing.

Though the online format can be beneficial, the STAAR tests are not the best exams. When it comes to scheduling difficulties, I think the system should have had more organization and planned ahead of time with students to prevent them from getting behind. Also, because of it’s difficulty and time differences from the old state test, I realized that I should have appreciated the TAKS. In the end, all I want is to break the red seal on the edge of a TAKS test instead of login to a STAAR.