Custodians Not Shown Enough Appreciation

Being a custodian is a tedious and repetitive job and they don’t get enough recognition.

Being a member of the colorguard and having class in the cafeteria on A day mornings, I see how filthy the cafeteria is after students eat breakfast. There is almost always garbage left on the tables, the stage and on the floor and it isn’t uncommon to see mysterious liquids spilled in various places.

While I’m in there, I also see the custodians hard at work: sweeping, cleaning windows, wiping tables and the like. It is incredibly disrespectful to leave a mess just sitting there, especially when there are multiple custodians around to see you do it. Is it really that hard to throw away a Pop Tart wrapper and a carton of milk? And if something is accidentally spilled, is it really that difficult to get a napkin and wipe it up? There are also trash cans set out within walking distance of all tables, so there is really no excuse.

The custodians have enough things to do. Their job would be made a lot easier if people would just help them out a little bit and throw away their own nasty garbage.

It may not seem like a big deal at the time, but everyone making small messes and not cleaning them afterward adds up quickly, making it a long day for the custodians.

The custodians always look really positive and are almost always smiling. I have a lot of respect for them and I wish more people did as well. They aren’t your mothers, they weren’t put on this earth to clean up every little mess you make, so show some respect and clean up after yourselves.