Why Teachers Should Be Armed

Some+teachers+are+already+being+trained+on+how+to+use+weapons+in+other+parts+of+the+country.+
Some teachers are already being trained on how to use weapons in other parts of the country.

crossfire

See Opposing Story : https://mhstrailblazer.com/opinion/crossfire/2013/02/04/arming-teachers-alters-their-role/

The nation was rocked by the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, and the attention has quickly shifted from the memory of the children to laws regarding gun control. In a new development on gun control, some lawmakers and state governments have proposed arming teachers and essentially getting rid of the “gun-free zones” in schools all across the country. In a complicated conversation on whether we need stricter gun laws, I think armed teachers could be a simple solution. One argument against armed teachers points out that having guns around students is dangerous. Some might fear an irresponsible student might get their hands on a gun and use it on school property. However, teachers in Utah have been allowed to carry concealed weapons for years, and not once has a student gained access to a gun and used it for violence. This is because of responsible ownership and confidentiality. Students in Utah are unaware that their teachers have guns in the first place, so they are not faced with temptation. If teachers who have guns are monitored and have their guns in an area unavailable to students, then maybe teachers will feel more prepared if they need to protect their students.

Others in favor of stricter implementation of “gun-free zones” might say that teachers don’t really have the need for guns, and that school shootings are rare. In the tragedy at Sandy Hook, principal Dawn Hochsprung charged the gunman unarmed and was killed in the encounter. Had she had access to a concealed gun, she would have been more prepared to challenge the shooter. Considering most shooters are stopped at their first opposition, putting guns in the hands of teachers can hinder a gunman’s ability to take over an entire school.

When considering giving guns to teachers, people must keep in mind the restraint that will be used to maintain a safe educational environment. This means making sure that only teachers who are comfortable with guns have them and keeping the amount of guns to an absolute minimum. There is no reason for multiple teachers in a single hallway to have a concealed weapon. Educating teachers on how to safely conceal their weapons and use them can make administrators and local law enforcement more secure with the idea of having guns in schools.
As proven in Utah, confidentiality will allow teachers to feel safe with a gun in their class, as students won’t be aware that it is there.