O’Donnell Named State Male Special Olympics Athlete of the Year

To receive the State Male Special Olympics Athlete of the year award, you have to have “good experience, talented skills and [be] a great person,” senior Brennan O’Donnell said. You can take his word for it because O’Donnell is the State Male Olympian of the Year.

This award is for Special Olympics athletes ages 15-21. They must show pride, strength and humility both on and off the field. O’Donnell has expressed these attributes consistently throughout his life, including his participation in scouting and attaining the rank of Eagle Scout.

O’Donnell participates in basketball, swimming, golf, power lifting, track and field, and bowling.  His favorite sport is basketball, because he is the captain and enjoys helping people. But the sport that really contributed to O’Donnell’s achievement would be swimming. His best record is 02:06:13 for the 25 meter backstroke.

He and his family were extremely proud after his recognition of Area 13 Male Athlete of the Year. O’Donnell believed he had a chance at attaining the state recognition; he continued to train and compete, forging ahead to 13 years of athletic activities.

O’Donnell was selected in August as the statewide winner. A dinner honoring all state male and female athletes of the year was held during the Special Olympics Texas Chapter Fall Classic at Texas A&M on Oct. 26.