‘42’ Hits Home Run

42+will+keep+viewers+at+the+edge+of+their+seats.+Its+a+heart-warming+tale+of+a+man+who+didnt+let+racism+stop+him+from++achieving+his+dreams.+This+man+suffered+through+the+pain%2C+and+lived+through+the+joy%3B+this+man+is+no+other+than+Major+League+Baseball+player%2C+Jackie+Robinson.+
“42” will keep viewers at the edge of their seats. It’s a heart-warming tale of a man who didn’t let racism stop him from achieving his dreams. This man suffered through the pain, and lived through the joy; this man is no other than Major League Baseball player, Jackie Robinson.

Heroism is not always about achievements on the field of play.

“42” tells the story of two men, Jackie Robinson and legendary Brooklyn Dodgers GM Branch Rickey. Together they stood against prejudice and changed the world by changing the game of baseball.

In 1946, Rickey (Harrison Ford) put himself at the forefront of history when he signed Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) to the team, breaking Major League Baseball’s infamous color barrier. But the deal also put both Robinson and Rickey in the firing line of the public, the press and even other players.

Facing unabashed racism from every side, Robinson was forced to demonstrate tremendous courage and restraint, knowing that any incident could destroy his and Rickey’s hopes. Instead, No. 42 let his talent on the field do the talking.

Ultimately, he won over fans and his teammates, silencing his critics, and opening the door for others to follow.

Boseman’s portrayal of Robinson is inspiring and heartwarming. The movie had a major impact on viewers because they got to see the struggles Jackie Robinson had to go through. The film beautifully showed an aspect of history with captivating characters, baseball action, and major drama.

Director and screenwriter Brian Helgeland stayed true to Robinson’s story, even consulting with Robinson’s widow, Rachel, to verify aspects of the movie. As a period piece, “42” keeps true to the language used that some viewers may find offensive. The movie is rated PG-13.

This is movie that viewers will want to watch more than once. It shows strength, hope, determination, struggle: qualities a person needs to be extraordinary.

“42” was an extraordinary movie about an extraordinary man.