Let the Shopping Commence: Fabled H&M Comes to Austin

H&M, or Hennes & Mauritz, a trendy and relatively inexpensive Swedish retailer, will soon do business in Austin. There have been many past flirtations between the city of Austin and this retail company during its expansion from the East coast.“They just have a lot of selection and it’s different from what we have here in Austin,” senior Judy Emeodi said.Austin has wanted a store for several years, but H&M has ignored their pleas, whether they be from fans, the economy, or the news – that is until now.H&M also does not provide an online store, meaning that in previous years Austin shoppers would have to travel to Houston or Dallas to purchase merchandise. There were women and men lined up as early as 3 p.m. the previous day in order to be first in line at the Baybrook Mall in Houston. After five other stores built in other locations in Texas, the wait is over.

The Culture Map of Austin said, “H&M confirmed [July 22] that it has leased a 24,000 square foot retail space at The Domain and officially plans to open its doors in the fall of 2012. In addition to men’s and women’s, the Austin location will carry H&M’s children’s collection.”

Junior Julia Bailey shopped at the store in the Dallas NorthPark Center.

“It’s two stories [high] and very cool with lots of variety,” Bailey said.

Specifically, Emeodi  is looking forward to shoes and shirts while Bailey is excited to see the clothes they have for the fall season and new trends.