‘Les Mis’ Delivers Award-Winning Performances

Les Mis Delivers Award-Winning Performances

For those who still haven’t seen the latest film adaptation of “Les Miserables,” you are missing out on a breathtakingly beautiful work of art.

Originally a novel by Victor Hugo published in 1862, “Les Miserables” has entertained numerous play adaptations in past years. However, this recent movie version was the most impressive adaptation by far.

Set in the years after the French Revolution, the movie opens by introducing Jean Valjean, a man who was imprisoned for years for stealing a loaf of bread and who, upon his release, breaks his parole in order to start a fresh, untainted life as a new man.

Years later, due to an unexpected chain of events, he adopts a young girl after the death of her mother, impoverished factory worker Fantine. In the meantime though, policeman Javert uncovers the truth behind Valjean’s new identity. The ruthless chase that ensues, as well as the newfound family of Valjean and Cosette, begins an amazing tale of compassion in the face of fear. As Cosette grows older and falls in love, the story expands to one of war, redemption and romance.

This movie features a star-studded cast, with Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Hugh Jackman as Valjean, Amanda Seyfried as (adult) Cosette and Russell Crowe as Officer Javert, as well as such iconic songs as “I Dreamed a Dream.”

Not only a display of incredible acting, it is also a display of masterful directing. The songs are so well blended into the screenplay that instead of becoming awkward interruptions, they become natural guides of mood and emotion. Instead of lip-synching to pre-recorded tracks, the actors sang live during filming. Any vocal flaws added much to the context of the story.

These aspects of Les Miserables were further proved a success at the Golden Globe awards on January 13th. It won the Best Motion Picture, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture (by Hugh Jackman) and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture (by Anne Hathaway) awards in its category of Musical or Comedy.

“Les Miserables” is a perfect mix of tear-jerking and action-packed, poignant and passionate, revolutionary and sentimental. If you are interested in war history or romance, or any spectrum of the human experience in life at all, it is a movie well worth seeing.