Opening the Door into Key Club

Charmi+Patel+%2810%29%2C+Ainsley+Romero+%2810%29%2C+and+Chloe+Romero+%2812%29+make+Christmas+cards+to+sell.+The+cards+helped+the+Special+Education+department+to+fund+their+adventures.+
Image by Rebecca Mitchell
Charmi Patel (10), Ainsley Romero (10), and Chloe Romero (12) make Christmas cards to sell. The cards helped the Special Education department to fund their adventures.

Dan Nguyen’s room is filled with students waiting to help the needy. Whether serving food, visiting children’s homes, raising money, or helping out at library events Key Club is there to help.

“People contact us to help in volunteering and we gather volunteers to support the community,” senior Laura Wood said.

The students meet every three weeks on Thursdays to support the community. Key Club has been going on for years, and this year the leaders include president Laura Wood, co-president Jasmine Pham, historian Chloe Romero, secretary Celeste Roberts, treasurer Ruth Egbuson, and social officer Lilia Dinh.

“The club came as a welcoming opportunity to help the community,” Wood said.

“Key Club gives people the opportunity to find volunteer events, either they want to help society or need volunteer hours,” Nguyen said.

During Key Club meetings, the members talk about and give the information on the volunteer opportunities coming up. Sometimes the meetings include small volunteering activities, such as making Christmas cards to raise money for the Special Ed department.

The name Key Club comes from the Kiwanis Club, an adult volunteering organization that meets all across America. It is shortened to Key for the students/youth.

Interested students can sign up for the email updates or stop by Nguyen’s room B102 for more details. The next meeting is March 7.