Childhood Movies Back and Fit for Youth

The old movies that you loved to watch, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, and other Disney movies, are great memories of childhood. The Disney movies are coming back with a vengeance.

Alice in Wonderland was reproduced in 2010, and instead of using animated characters, director Tom Burton chose to use stars such as Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway. This time Alice is a 19-year-old reuniting with the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), the white rabbit (Michael Sheen), and the blue caterpillar (Alan Rickman). Alice also meets some old foes including the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter) and the White Queen (Anne Hathaway). The story is remarkably similar to the first Alice in Wonderland, with Alice still sliding down the rabbit hole to get to Wonderland by following the white rabbit, but she is on a mission to defeat the Jabberwocky (Christopher Lee). The movie came to be a great success, and just three short years later Oz the Great and Powerful debuted.

Oz the Great and Powerful – a prequel to The Wizard of Oz – came out in March 2013 and was directed by Sam Raimi. The film was also filled with live characters, such as James Franco and Mila Kunis. In the original movie, the main character is a girl, but Oscar Diggs (James Franco) is the protagonist who comes from Kansas, and gets swept away in a tornado. Oscar is a magician who lands in the magical land, and doesn’t meet the tin man, scarecrow, and lion, but three witches. Oscar must find out which witch or witches are good, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz), and Glinda (Michelle Williams). Disney counts the movie as another success, and is preparing to release Cinderella in 2014.

The 2014 Cinderella will be directed by Kenneth Branagh, and produced by Allison Shearmur, Jack Ryan, David Barron, and Simon Kinberg. Only a few characters have been officially cast, most importantly Cinderella. The princess will be Lily James, most recently in season three of Downton Abbey and Fast Girls. Cate Blanchett will be Lady Tremaine. Prince Charming is yet to be officially cast, but Richard Madden is in the running.

After Cinderella, Disney will produce Maleficent, with Angelina Jolie as the Sleeping Beauty villainess. Beauty and the Beast may also be produced again with Joe Ahearne as the writer.

Disney is making it’s way back by using old successful movies with new actors and scripts.