Foss Teaches, Coaches More Than the Mavericks

Health, happiness and teaching. This is what McNeil swimming and soccer coach and geometry teacher Jonny Foss has dedicated his life to.

In the midst of teaching, coaching and raising a family, Foss has also taken on the job of coaching the Forest North swim team, the Stingrays.

“I didn’t know if I could do it (coach another team),” Foss said. “It turned out to be a great decision. It’s a good organization to commit your time to, and a lot of these kids grow up to be a part of high school swim teams.”

Founded in 1981, Forest North Stingrays is a non-profit team made up of youths from 4-17 years of age, and six coaches who dedicate 10 weeks of their summer to practices, meets and events. The organization itself is family friendly, parent volunteer oriented, for the purpose of helping children find the joy in a sport and competition to stay fit and have fun. The team is a part of the northwest swim circuit of 13 different competing teams.

Foss became involved in the summer of 2002, after the Stingrays head coach stepped down. He was asked to coach, as he was already swim coach at McNeil. Later, his son started swimming with the Stingrays,

The 10 week schedule involves six days a week, and about five hours a day for coaches. There are six circuit meets each summer, beginning in May and ending in July.

For Foss, swimming, soccer and all things sports related seem to be a second nature.

“I grew up a pool rat, (but) I love (all) sports,” Foss said. “It’s good to be a part of introducing a sport that kids can participate in their entire life and stay healthy.”

Foss’ philosophy involves personal health, success and gain, not only when it comes to coaching, but also in his classroom. His joy in helping youth is evident in the amount of time he spends with his students, teams, and family involvement.