Students Encouraged to Take Part in Donating to Victims of West Explosion

Residents of West Texas commemorate those lost in the tragedy.

Tragedy struck the town of West, Texas, on April 17 when a fertilizer plant caught fire and exploded, causing death, destruction and injuries to the surrounding area. Four schools were affected by the explosion, one of which may be damaged beyond repair.

McNeil NHS students are making an effort to provide relief to the schools and people who were affected by this situation. Since those schools suffered so much damage, enormous amounts of school supplies were lost.

Through April 26, boxes have been placed by the front office, in the band hall, in the ROTC hallway, and other locations around the building for students who wish to donate any supplies they might have. NHS encourages other clubs and students to spread the word and try to get more people involved with these relief efforts.

They are in need of pencils, lined paper, rulers, glue, map pencils, post-it notes, notecards, dry-erase markers, etc. If students don’t have supplies to donate, they are also accepting Walmart gift cards.