Mavs Welcome Lake Travis to 5A With Tournament Win

Image by Kylie Brommel
Junior Clayton Haag pitches against Hyde Park during the Langerhans Invitational. The Mavs won 10-0.

A rough start awaited the Mavericks as they finished up the Rock Hardball Classic. New horizons are on the charts, though, as they moved into their final tournament of the season and then begin district play.

The Langerhans Invitational – started by former Round Rock High School baseball coach John Langerhans – is an annual tournament between teams in Central Texas and all the way from West Texas.

It was a strong start to the first day for the Mavs as they beat down on Hyde Park and Cedar Creek. Highlighting the wins for the Mavs, junior Cameron Terrell and senior Matt Tobolka both sparked the hitting for the Mavericks. Juniors Clayton Haag and Noah Clarkson also pitched solid games to bring their team to victory.

Friday afternoon started off not as planned against Midland Christian as the Mavs faced a heartbreaking loss. Coming out to a 4-3 lead in the fifth inning, the Mavs weren’t able to hold up the bats in the sixth as Midland Christian pushed two runs across the board for the 5-4 win.

The nightcap was much more pleasant for the Mavs as they faced San Angelo Central. Senior Kyle Dutton took the mound throwing six solid innings allowing only one run. Senior Tim Hunter highlighted the hitting going 2 for 3 with a double and an RBI in the winning effort. Senior Steven Decarlo also came in to close the game for the Mavs in the seventh inning.

Saturday was the highlight of the weekend for the Mavs as they faced off against 2012 4A state tournament participant Lake Travis. Senior Sean Mason took the mound for the Mavericks against the Cavaliers.

It was a rough start as Lake Travis jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth inning due to four errors. This Maverick team has a “never give up” mentality. They fought back hard, down one run going into the seventh inning after a sixth inning triple by Terrell.

“Everyone was going crazy,” Terrell said. “I was so excited and everyone in the dugout basically freaked out and it really rattled their pitcher.”

After a Tobolka intentional walk, it was up to senior Austin Hinkle. Hinkle drilled a ball to third base and the Lake Travis third baseman was unable to handle, it allowing Tim Hunter and Tobolka to score, securing a 4-3 Maverick victory.

“Knowing that we got a triple off of one of their better pitchers was a great feeling,” Terrell said.

As district play rolled along, it wouldn’t get much easier for the Mavs as they faced off against the Stony Point Tigers to kick off district play.

A pitching duel took place until the fifth inning where the Tigers roughed up Maverick starting pitcher Tobolka. The Mavs scored two more, but fell 5-3 in their first district matchup.

The Mavs will play their next game on Friday Mar. 22 at 7 p.m. against Pflugerville at Maverick Stadium.