Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Lock Her Up

‘Jane Eyre’ deserves second look

Jane Eyre and her story was encaptured in the illustration.

When I read Jane Eyre – published Oct. 16, 1847, by Charlotte Bronte – for the first time, I was horrified about how an insane person could hide his wife from the outside world. Maybe it was because I was too young to understand, but all of the characters in the house acted weird, people died, and a lot of  bad things happened throughout the book.

However, when I recently reread it, I felt different. Since I have more knowledge in history and classes throughout the world than when I was younger, I understand the theme more. I can really look into the author’s meaning of what she’s trying to say.

Jane Eyre is a woman who is born happy but ends up miserable. She loses her parents at a young age and is then sent to live with her uncle, where she has a recurring nightmare for her entire young life and adolescence. She is locked in a red dark room if she makes a mistake or if Ms. Linde, wife of her uncle, is in a bad mood.

Because of her dislike of Jane, Ms. Linde sends her to the Lowood School. The headmaster of the school didn’t look favorably on Jane because Ms. Linde’s influence. After she graduates, Jane picks intelligence rather than refinement. She becomes a  private tutor for one wealthy household. Jane eventually falls in love with Rochester, the master of the house.

Rochester falls in love with her, too, even though he already has a wife who is secretly hidden in the house because of her mental illness. After Jane and Rochester marry, his old friend reveals the secret wife. Jane runs away disappointed and Rochester goes after her.

To find out how the story ends, check out the book from the school library or watch the movie. Although the film has some over-exaggerated scenes to entertain people, it helps viewers to understand the story more.

Jane Eyre was the beginning of new genre. It was shocking since the author was a woman. In 1847, women did not enjoy much power. The themes of betrayal, class and adultery written by a female caused quite a stir during the Victorian era.

1 Comment

One Response to “Lock Her Up”

1. Emily on December 9th, 2017 10:21 am

It hit my mind strongly.

[Reply]

*

• Briefs

Night of Giving

• Lock Her Up

News

Never Slowing Down

• Lock Her Up

Entertainment

Little Bit of Magic

• Lock Her Up

Entertainment

1990+27=2017

• Lock Her Up

News

Hawks Take Down the Mavs

• Lock Her Up

Showcase

Hitting The Links

• Lock Her Up

Entertainment

Back in Style

• Lock Her Up

Entertainment

A Modern Twist on an An Old Classic

• Lock Her Up

Features

Mavs Get Involved

• Lock Her Up

Opinion

RIP: New Slang That Doesn’t Pass Away

Lock Her Up