Filed under Sports

Reaching the Finish Line

Track team heads into District meet

Varsity sophomore Jaden Maul attacks the curve in the 4x800m relay, breaking free from the pack.

Jacob Avner

Jacob Avner

The track and field team has had a solid season, with all divisions placing well at the meets it has attended. The team competed in its last invitational meet of the season, South Austin Relays, on March 31, and is preparing for the District 13-6A meet.

“This year has been pretty good,” varsity senior Ben Duong said. “I’ve been trying new events such as the 800 [meters]. Because I’m a senior and it’s my last year, I’m just trying to make as many memories as I can.”

The Mavs started the season strong at the Lake Travis Invitational, with varsity girls winning the meet and varsity boys taking second. The varsity girls and boys won the second meet, the Chap Relays at Westlake High School. The team’s third meet was the Ranger Relays at Smithson Valley High School, and despite rainy conditions the varsity girls were runner ups.

“It’s been very exciting,” varsity freshman Isabella Trujillo said. “I’ve gotten a lot of good times and made so many new friends.”

Then came the home meet, Mav Relays, the Friday before spring break.

“Mav Relays was more of a bittersweet experience,” Duong said. “I anchored for a relay and I had the lead but then I lost it. But then I came back and ran the fastest mile time I’d ever run in my whole life. So, it had it’s ups, had it’s downs, but that’s just life for you.”

During spring break, varsity team members went to a meet at Texas Southern University, a two day affair during which they stayed in a hotel and bonded over the long meet.

“It was so fun,” Trujillo said. “It was in Houston, and it was really big, and I got a PR (personal record) there.”

The team travelled to Waco Midway High School on March 25, and experienced success at the last invitational of the season, South Austin Relays at the Burger Center, with varsity girls winning the meet and varsity boys taking second.

The District 13-6A meet is April 11 and 12 at Pflugerville High School. The top four runners in each varsity event will advance to the Area meet on April 20.

“My goal is to PR again and just try to score points,” Trujillo said.