Filed under Features, Showcase

The Link Between

McNeil hosts annual Open House.

The main hall was once again flooded with students going to class. But this time it was at night and they were accompanied by their parents. The cafeteria was full of students endorsing their clubs and embracing the Mav community at Open House on Sept. 13.
“I’ve been a part of Open House since my freshman year, and it’s always been one of my favorite events,” senior Anne Marie Young said. “The part I enjoy most is inspiring the new freshmen to get involved, whether it be in JROTC, dance, or robotics.”
The Open House provided insight on what is expected from Mav students and the chance for parents to “attend” their students’ classes and get to know their teachers.
“Something that stood out to me was the fact that a lot of parents were there with their kids and were interested in their education,” parent Isabel Silva said. “I like meeting the teachers so I can get to know who and how these teachers are going to educate my daughter.”
The club and organization fair held in the cafeteria exhibited the interests of the student body. Some clubs include Photography, Girl Up, Book Club, Drama, and national honor societies.
“I’m a secretary for Drama Club, and to take part in volunteering for my club meant a lot to me,” junior Riley Rust said. “This club helped me to meet new friends and I want people to experience that.”