One Hit Wonders Who Have More to Offer

Gotye’s 2011 album, “Making Mirrors”.

Goyte

• Hit song: Somebody That I Used to Know (1.7B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit Song: Eyes Wide Open (49M Streams) 

Now referred to on the internet as “somebody that we used to know,” Gotye is one of the biggest one hit wonders of the 2010s. Despite the significant difference in streams, both songs offer a similar quality. While “Somebody That I Used to Know” is more stripped down instrumentally, consisting of just xylophone and bass. “Eyes Wide Open” has more production on it and ventures into more imaginative topics and self-exploration as opposed to the romantic theme of “Somebody That I Used to Know.”

Fountains of Wayne

• Hit Song: Stacy’s Mom (454M Streams) 
  • Potential Hit Song: Sink to the Bottom (9M Streams) 

Despite the adolescent love perspective of “Stacy’s Mom,” the song “Sink to the Bottom” talks of a deeper connection with someone and more self-reflection about emotion. Both songs have the same vocal and instrumental style to them so any enjoyers of the song “Stacy’s Mom” might like “Sink to the Bottom” as well. 

Peter Bjorn and John

• Hit Song: Young Folks (485M Streams) 
  • Potential Hit Song: Up Against the Wall (10M Streams)  

Helped to be popularized by its appearance in Gossip Girl’s pilot episode, “Young Folks” is known by many while “Up Against the Wall” falls short of it by 475M streams. This is primarily an instrumental song of electric guitar and drums with few lyrics, disguising itself as upbeat but talks of feeling trapped and upset about a relationship. 

Alt-J (TWO HIT WONDER)

• Hit: Breezeblocks and Left-Hand Free (Breezeblocks: 823M Streams, Left-Hand Free: 457M) 
  • Potential Hit: Something Good (155M Streams) 

With a hit like “Left-Hand Free,” made popular by the hit Netflix show ‘Outer Banks,’  and “Breezeblocks,” a wildly popular song of the 2010s, Alt-J definitely classifies as a one– or two hit wonder. Past these hit songs, they have many other quality songs, like “Something Good” which features their signature singing style but has a more laid back vibe and piano harmony. 

GROUPLOVE 

• Hit: Tongue Tied (896M Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Ways to Go (141M Streams) 

GROUPLOVE is most well known for their hit summer song “Tongue Tied” which quickly became a radio hit in 2011. A lesser known song by them is “Ways to Go” which is written in a similar style to “Tongue Tied.” 

Band of Horses

• Hit: The Funeral (385M Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: No One’s Gonna Love You (99M Streams) 

The dramatic drum heavy hit, “The Funeral” by the Band of Horses has many appearances in movies and TV shows such as “Criminal Minds,” “How I Met Your Mother” and “Gossip Girl.” Lesser known, “No One’s Gonna Love You” is a slower song with heavy guitars looking back on a relationship that fell apart and reflecting on it fondly. 

Snow Patrol

• Hit: Chasing Cars (1.2B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Called Out In The Dark (60M Streams) 

Primarily known for its sad nature and its multiple appearances in “Grey’s Anatomy,” Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars,” stands in the billions in Spotify streams while all of their other songs have less than 150 million. “Called Out In The Dark” is much more upbeat, relying on drums and bass guitar, the song talks of seizing moments.

Bastille 

• Hit: Pompeii (1.5B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Things We Lost In The Fire (186M Streams) 

Aside from a second hit as a feature on the song “Happier” by Marshmello (their most streamed song with 2.1B streams), Bastille is known for their song “Pompeii” which hit the top of charts in October 2013. The band’s other songs off their “Bad Blood” album have a similar tone and style to “Pompeii.” The theme of the entire album discusses Greek mythology with a song called “Icarus,” European history with the song “Pompeii,” and even Biblical stories with the song “Daniel In The Den,” making the album a unique storytelling piece. 

Portugal. The Man 

• Hit Song: Feel It Still (1.2B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Live In The Moment (105M Streams) 

Both songs by Portugal. The Man have a similar drum beat and fast paced feel. The singer’s unique vocal style is found throughout their discography, making any song a good second to listen to for fans of “Feel It Still.”

WALK THE MOON 

• Hit Song: Shut Up and Dance (1.6B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Anna Sun (157M Streams) 

“Shut Up and Dance” appealed to the masses with it’s energetic and upbeat lyrics as well as music, however WALK THE MOON has many songs such as “Anna Sun” which are more layered emotionally lyrics wise and product wise. 

Milky Chance

• Hit Song: Stolen Dance (1.5B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Flashed Junk Mind (251M Streams) 

Milky Chance first rose to fame with their hit song “Stolen Dance,” but a lesser known song by them, “Flashed Junk Mind,” is perfect for those who couldn’t get enough of “Stolen Dance”. It creates a similar mood without being so similar it becomes boring. 

Belinda Carlisle

• Hit Song: Heaven Is A Place On Earth (481M Streams)
  • Potential Hit: Circle In The Sand (30M Streams) 

Belinda Carlisle originally became a one hit wonder in the 80s with her song “Heaven Is A Place On Earth,” but the hit currently lives on with 481M streams on Spotify. Carlisle’s music still captures the essence of the 80s, with more borderline synth pop tunes like “Circle In The Sand.” 

Rick Springfield

• Hit Song: Jessie’s Girl (578M Streams)
  • Potential Hit: Don’t Talk to Strangers (24M Streams)

“Jessie’s Girl” is a quintessential 80s tune which is at the very least, familiar to all with 587M streams. “Don’t Talk to Strangers” captures the same familiar essence of “Jessie’s Girl” with some similar musical elements in the background. 

Carly Rae Jepsen

• Hit Song: Call Me Maybe (1.3B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Cut To The Feeling (145M Streams) 

“Call Me Maybe” is still a go to karaoke song for many, after it took over the radio and the internet in 2011. Jepsen’s much lesser known song, “Cut To The Feeling” has an 80s feel to it, and it delves even deeper into the classic pop genre. 

Plain White T’s

• Hit Song: Hey There Delilah (1B Streams) 
  • Potential Hit: Rhythm of Love (125M Streams) 

The romantic classic, “Hey There Delilah” is the only song most people know of the Plain White T’s but they have far more to offer. “Rhythm of Love” has a very similar feel to a Jason Mraz song but retains the romantic feel that the Plain White T’s are known for. 

Listen to the playlist here.