Surprise of the Year for Talented Teacher, Staff

McNeil congratulates Jackie Hartle and Kathy Koen

Accolades were bestowed upon two dedicated, passionate and experienced staff members. Jackie Hartle, a teacher who works with students on their communication skills and conflict resolution, was named Teacher of the Year. Kathy Koen, who helms McNeil’s learning lab, won the title of Paraprofessional of the Year.

Hartle was presented the award by Principal John Yonker and other administrative staff members with flowers and good news.

“It took me a few days to really process the meaning and importance of what had been given to me,” Hartle said. “It definitely caught me off guard and was such a joyous surprise.”

Hartle has worked in education for 11 years now, 10 of which at  McNeil.

“I discovered my passion for teaching when I was living in Los Angeles,” Hartle said. “I was an actress who tutored kids in my spare time, and I found that I loved it.”

Hartle came back to Texas where she was born to pursue her teaching career.

“Just being nominated was more than I could have asked for, and it was such an honor to be chosen,” Koen said.

Koen has worked in education for 22 years and said she felt like she knew she was destined for teaching since she was a little girl.

“I’ve always loved helping people,” Koen said. “To hear a student say they feel better and more comfortable about what they’re doing because of me is incredible and very rewarding.”