Filed under Homecoming, News, Showcase

HoCo Court Takes the Field

Seniors Jack Graves and Natalie Barnes pose for a picture after being crowned homecoming king and queen.

Bahiya Khan

Bahiya Khan

A red carpet lay across the gym floor for the winners to line up on. A loud, crowded gym at the pep rally on Sept. 15 held the excitement of the underclass court dukes and duchesses.

The announcer read off the results: freshmen Nazmun Simiya and Luke Neading; sophomores Amy Gonzalez and Tanner Owen; and juniors Uzma Pathan and James Curtis.

“I was honestly so surprised,” Nazmun Simiya said. “Everyone running is stunning and seemed super sweet. I didn’t think anyone knew me so I wouldn’t have a chance. But I won, and I didn’t process it until the football game.”

The nerve-wracking moment when the senior queen and king were announced occured at halftime of the homecoming football game against Del Valle Friday Sept. 15.

After the winners of the underclassmen court took their positions on the field, the senior nominees, escorted by their parents through a line of Majestics and the JROTC saber arch, were called up.

“[to make the rest of senior year special] I plan on investing my time working with my freshman young life girls, and keeping up with musicale performances.” Natalie Barnes said.

As the stadium announcer said their names, seniors Natalie Barnes and Jack Graves made their way mid-field to be crowned the 2017 Homecoming queen and king.

“It was the highlight of my year so far, and it was a night I’d love to relive again.” Samiya said.