Lockdown vs Lockout

Photo courtesy of Texas School Safety Center.

On Monday morning, a lockout was conducted due to suspicion of a threat. The lockout lasted about two hours. During the drill, there was confusion amongst teachers on the necessary precautions to take. Specifically, the difference between a lockout and lockdown was uncertain.

A lockdown is the more extreme of the two. In this procedure, all activities are stopped and students and staff go into hiding. All classroom doors are locked and all people are meant to remain silent. This happens in order to keep people safe from danger within or outside of the school.

Similar to a lockdown, a lockout is made to prioritize the safety of students and staff inside the school. The main difference is that all activity inside the school can proceed throughout the lockout. The regular schedule continues and all people inside the building are permitted to freely walk around the school for passing periods, the bathroom, etc. The only thing that changes is that nobody is permitted to leave or enter the school.