Auto Tech Awards

McNeil Auto-Skills USA Team dominates district competition, 20 Students qualify for State.

Our McNeil Autotech Skills USA Team showcased exceptional skill and determination at the district competition held last Thursday. Competing in Maintenance-Light Repair (MLR) and Automotive Service Technology (AST), the Mavs demonstrated their expertise, with an impressive score advancing to the next level.

In MLR, two Mavs secured their spots in the hands-on competition, while an astounding eight out of nine AST competitors advanced as well. On Friday, four Mavs competed in the Diesel competition, aiming for the top three spots, to progress to the State level. The results speak volumes: all eight projects scored Superior, solidifying their positions for the upcoming State Championship.

Among the outstanding achievements, McNeil secured first place in the Automotive Quiz Bowl, with team members Kaylee Peters, Maia Escamilla, Arianna Braddy, Trent Bauman, Jesse Milstead, Alex Dominguez and Gavin Odom showcasing their knowledge and teamwork.

“It was more of a whole team effort, and we all participated how we could,”  Peters said. “Our goal is to bear Georgetown every year, and this year we completely destroyed them. We have had the opportunity to review what we did and what previous years’ bowl teams did, and we could stay after if we had time.”

Individual successes were equally impressive, with Reed Zeiner clinching first place in Diesel Service Technology. Bauman and Tri Nguyen-Phouc tied for second in Aviation, while Escamilla claimed third in the same competition. Odom and Braddy excelled in Mobile Audio, securing second and third place respectively.

“A lot of them are similar, so when you do well on the fundamentals of one, you can do well on the other ones,” Bauman said. “Earlier in the year, we did a competition at Georgetown, and nobody won anything, which made me want to prove that I can do well. I think mainly just test-taking skills because it was a test about marine service technology; staying calm under stress also helps.”

Moreover, Bauman and Peters showcased their skills in Marine Service Technology, taking first and third place. In Automotive Service Technology, Bauman and Milstead impressed once again, securing first and third place respectively.

The excellence didn’t stop there, as Zeiner, Sandy Yanes-Rodriguez and Milstead tied for first place in Motorcycle Repair, with Ben Gutierrez closely following in second.

Overall, McNeil celebrated a remarkable achievement, with 20 students qualifying for the State competition. Their dedication, hard work and passion for automotive and technical skills have truly shone through, setting a high standard for excellence within the district. Congratulations to the McNeil Auto-Skills USA Team on their outstanding performance.