Filed under Opinion

Just Ask

Help for depression available

Depression.

It’s more than just a 10 letter word. It’s more than a mental disease. It’s a demon, it’s a different person that haunts and has control of one’s life. It’s a killer, it’s a nightmare. It’s like a devil that comes into a person’s life to kill, steal, and destroy their mind. Depression is like a war, a battle with yourself; you either win the battle or die trying.

It can be difficult to know when a person is dealing with depression.

“It’s something that some people go through in a certain point in their life,” sophomore Daniel Arias said.

Depression causes multiple risk factors such thoughts of suicide or an unusual preoccupation with death or dying.

Although depression often varies according to age and gender, here are some risk factors and symptoms of depression.

1. Talking about killing or harming one’s self
  2. Expressing strong feelings of hopelessness or being trapped
  3. An unusual preoccupation with death or dying
  4. Calling or visiting people to say goodbye
  5. Saying things like “Everyone would be better off without me” or “I want out”

If you or someone you know are going through any of these symptoms, reach out to a teacher, a guidance counselor, a parent or another trusted adult.  You can also call National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255. Visit http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/ for more information.

“It’s a very sad thing,” sophomore Jasmine Tucker said. “The worst part about it is you never know who’s going through it.”