New Head Girls XC and Track Coach

Image by Daniela Corral

After the girls’ former head cross country and track coach, Karmen Sanders, left McNeil last semester, the hunt for a new coach was on. Luckily, over the summer Meagen Seales was hired and began coaching the team.

Seales graduated from Sam Houston State University and started her coaching career in Comfort for a year and then went back to her hometown of Blanco to continue coaching for two more years. Seales coached at Highland Park for another two years, before coming to McNeil to coach.

“Both my parents were teachers and my dad was a coach,” Seales said. “Even when I was really little their past students would come up and say to them, ‘you changed my life and helped me even when I wasn’t really a good student you still believed in me’ and for years people would tell them that and I think that was really cool that you could have such an impact on someone’s life.”

The transition to a new town and school can be difficult, but Seales has a lot planned for the upcoming year.

“It’s a new experience and adventure,” Seales said. “To have a bunch of high schoolers looking to you is nerve-racking but it’s really fun to have your own program to start or continue the culture of.”

Mario Vazquez is the head coach of the boys cross country team.

“I’m excited,” Vazquez said. “I feel like she can really build up this program. After this year, everything is going to start getting set into place because she is building that culture with [the cross country team].”