Varsity Football Takes On Hendrickson High School

Image by Ella Carter

After a tough loss to Hendrickson High School last week, the varsity football team is making adjustments as it starts district play this Friday against Manor High School.

“We have to take care of the ball,” Head Coach and Athletic Director Scott Hermes said. “We lost the turnover battle (to Hendrickson) 6 to 1. We can’t win if we don’t protect the ball.”

The loss doesn’t change the team’s goal of making it to the playoffs this year, but the team will need to shut down Manor’s running back.

“I expect us to play smarter on offense and more physical on defense,” Hermes said.

During the Hendrickson game, tackling wasn’t where it needed to be and the team had trouble stopping the run game.

“We must improve in a hurry,” Hermes said.

Junior Josh Will, a running back, said the offense played differently during the Hendrickson game.

“On offense, we were passing the rock a lot because the run game was not working, and the defense had to step up,” he said.

Will believes the team can beat Manor this week.

“I think we will do good,” he said. “We have to be able to run the ball and that will help with the passing game.”

Junior Frank Martinez, a defensive back, said he believes the team can bring home a win next week against Manor High School.

“I think for the next week we need to focus on learning from our mistakes and have a better game plan,” he said.

While the Mavs didn’t bring home a win against Hendrickson, there were successes for the team. Cam Green had the first touchdown with a pick-six and he ran 65 yards. It was in the first quarter. Jarell Gary made the second touchdown in the second quarter.

On Friday, Sept. 15, McNeil will face off against Manor High School.