Lady Mavs Basketballs Season Wrap Up

Image by Caroline Troung

On Tuesday, Feb. 6, Lady Mavs Basketball wrapped up their season in a heated game against Round Rock High School, losing 43-51. The various changes and difficulties that came with a new coach caused the season to go differently than the Mavericks expected, ending the season sixth in distinct. With a district record of 5-9 L, the Mavericks are ready to come back stronger next year.

“This season had a lot of ups and downs,” junior Juliette Cronin said. “We started the season with a couple of key wins, as well as some key wins in our first games of the district, but as the season progressed we had more of a tough time winning the games we needed to advance us to playoffs.”

The former head coach’s unexpected decision to leave last year left the Lady Mavs Basketball future program blurry. JV coach Lee Thompson had to step up as varsity assistant coach and help new hire Matthew Butler to adjust to the head coaching role.

“I think it was just making adjustments to the new coach; Who I think is awesome,” Thompson said. “He cares about the kids and cares about basketball, but overall, restructuring a basketball team is hard.”

Playing in such a competitive district, the Mavs knew this season wasn’t going to be easy. With season highs such as their 61-36 win against Westwood High School, and season lows like their loss against Vandegrift High School in the second round of districts; the Mavs made the most of their season making great memories along the way.

“Although a tough season win-wise, I had a lot of great memories,” Cronin said. “One of my favorite memories from this season was our first win against Stony Point. We had such great energy and team chemistry, and it helped us understand how good we could play together.”

The season will officially end for the Mavs on Monday, Mar. 25, celebrating this year’s accomplishments and highlights at their banquet.