Souper Bowl of Caring

More stories from Gabriela Cintron

Slay the Dragons
September 21, 2018

Campus groups to donate food to help fellow Mavs

The McNeil Care Closet will participate in the Souper Bowl of Caring through the collection of donations Jan. 22-Feb. 1 to benefit Mavericks in need.

“I wouldn’t really be able to go to school without the things Care Closet has [provided] me,” a freshman student who uses the care closet said. “It’s really taught me to treasure those things more.”

This event benefits fellow students on campus, since Care Closet is integral to providing access to food and clothes for Mavs. The Care Closet includes goods ranging from food and snacks, hygiene products, and basic clothing items like coats, jeans and T-shirts.

Students and clubs are invited to collect an assigned good such as Cheez Its, granola bars or mac and cheese cups. All goods accumulated will be donated to the Care Closet.  

The Super Bowl of Caring’s website states “Souper Bowl of Caring empowers youth and unites communities around the time of the Big Game to help those in need.”

To get involved, a group must email coordinator Cathy Booker to sign up for a particular food item to bring.

“Students can also ask their classroom teachers to have their classes participate and have a box for that teacher’s room,” Booker said. “By donating, students will earn community service letters that they can use for the Community Service Cord at graduation. This effort looks great on college applications.”

The Care Closet helps students who are unable to afford necessities of everyday life to ensures students have what they need in order to focus and get ahead in school despite situational shortcomings.

“If you need anything, just ask anybody,” the freshman said. “All you have to do is reach out and they’ll give it to you, easy as that.”

About the Writer
Gabriela Cintron, Reporter

Hi! My name is Gabriela Cintron. I'm a senior and this is my first year being on staff reporting for the McNeil student newspaper. I have very high hopes...