Psychology of a Doomsday Prepper

Doomsday+prepping+has+become+such+a+common+thing+that+it+has+resulted+in+influencing+the+media+to+create+a+show+about+it.+
Image by http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/11/15/the-nuts-on-doomsday-preppers-wouldnt-last-a-week/
Doomsday prepping has become such a common thing that it has resulted in influencing the media to create a show about it.

So many people fear what the future may hold, and several have resorted to prepping, also known as “Doomsday Prepping.”

Doomsday preppers fear a collapse in society and seek comfort in safety and protection when all else fails. Things American citizens take for granted – such as running water, groceries, medicine, energy and protection – are the primary things that Doomsday Preppers believe will fall by the wayside, leaving society members to fend for themselves.

Preppers seek to overcome the collapse not only through procuring key supplies and food to survive, but also have begun to network with other preppers to gain strength in numbers. Such efforts to prepare for this type of social collapse, whether it is done on an individual or team basis, relies strongly on an emotional connection to survive and requires so much time that one may say they suffer mental problems, such as hoarding or are labeled as “extreme preppers.”

The people who are now planning for this occurrence to happen are today’s preppers. Survival and prosperity are the missions for a doomsday prepper; and in order for their survival to happen, they not only have to collect supplies, they need to understand how to survive.

One will have to not only know what supplies to accumulate but also must know how to protect themselves, their families, and friends against the negative aftermath of a catastrophic event. For this reason many preppers seek solace or safety within numbers.

Networking with other preppers provides safety and strength. Various preppers can offer knowledgeable information and/or skills needed to survive. For example, one family may be able to garden, hunt and prepare food from supplies that they have stored away and are able to procure. Others may be able to protect through brute force and leadership or by providing medical assistance. Networking with multiple preppers provides a higher level of safety than being on one’s own.

Another aspect of such planning can be the risk of becoming a hoarder. Such extremity can not only consume their entire lives, it can also result in an emotional separation or empathy to daily life. On the flip side, the extremity may also unite a family and create new opportunities for expanding one’s social network.

To learn more perspectives or gain more knowledge on doomsday preppers or “Doomsday Prepping” you can watch Doomsday Preppers, an American reality television show that features an interview of different preppers, from around America, getting ready, “prepping” for whatever civilization changing event (whether it is a economic or global depression, disease, climate change, war…etc.) that they believe will occur, at http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/shows/doomsday-preppers.