The 411 on Flu Prevention

Image by occupycoratism.com
Getting a flu shot is the best way to prevent attracting the flu virus. Be sure to receive a shot each year to ensure you are protected.

This year’s flu season has been one of the worst. Nine of the 10 regions of the United States have already begun to see elevation in the number of flu patients in the 2012-2013 season. With this year’s season not yet at it’s peak, experts expect it to be a severe season.There are several ways to help prevent getting infected. The first is to receive an influenza vaccination every year. Local pharmacies such as Walgreens, CVS, or HEB Pharmacy can save a trip to a primary care physician. Flu shots are a vital part to arming oneself against infection but are not 100 percent effective in preventing the disease.

“We strongly encourage people to get vaccinated, and we’d like them to do that as soon as possible,” CDC flu expert Dr. Michael Jhung said. “[The] current batch of flu vaccines appear to be a good match for this year’s flu.”

In addition to getting vaccinated, regular hand washing eliminates any germs that may have been picked up. This is especially true in public places. Washing hands with antibacterial soap after touching common surfaces, such as handrails and doorknobs, can prevent the spread of the virus.

Use proper cough and sneeze etiquette by covering the nose or mouth so as not to release any of the germs into the air in order to prevent others from getting sick.

If you do get sick with the flu, be sure to see a doctor immediately so your symptoms do not worsen. Your doctor may give you a flu test in which they take a swab of your nostrils. Should your test came back positive, you will most likely be required to stay home from work or school from five calendar days before returning. If you are sick with the flu you should still get vaccinated after you are healed in case the disease was not caused by an influenza virus.

Flu experts and doctors encourage people to get vaccinated every flu season because flu viruses are constantly changing. It is common to see new flu viruses come up each year. As a result, the flu vaccine is constantly changing each year to keep up with the changing flu viruses.

Each year the United States sees a number of deaths and many flu patients. There is no way to guarantee that you will not catch the flu. But, you can do whatever possible to try and arm yourself against this dreadful disease. Be sure to get vaccinated, wash your hands regularly, and use proper cough and sneeze etiquette.