Addressing the Issue

Tiffany Sawruk

More stories from Tiffany Sawruk

Band Together
October 16, 2018
Save the Date
May 31, 2018

Campus administration cracks down on dress code violations

School administration has recently been enforcing the dress code more strictly. The district dress code restricts articles of clothing such as v-necks and shorts of a certain length. This has led to complaints from students.

“I think it’s too strict because we’re not allowed to wear any actual shorts,” sophomore Victoria Delarosa said. “I am definitely not wearing jeans when it’s 90 degrees outside.”

Senior Faith Nguyen, along with other girls, was sent to the office on Sept. 7 because her shorts were “too short.”

“I was irritated because I thought it was stupid and they were making us late for class,” Nguyen said.

In an effort to get constructive feedback, Principal Amanda Johnson and Associate Principal Heidi Flynn conducted several student forums during Flex. These have led to a series of videos shown during Flex to educate students about the administration’s perspective and rationale.

Many students also have a problem with how enforcing the dress code is prioritized among administration.

“I feel like punishment for violating the dress code is too extreme,” senior Maddie Navarrete said. “They should focus on other important stuff rather than what clothes would distract others.”

For more information, here is a link to the student handbook. Page 47 discusses dress code: Student Handbook

About the Writer
Tiffany Sawruk, Features Editor

Hi, I am a senior and this is my third year writing for the Trailblazer. I am also on the varsity tennis team and volunteer outside of school. I am very...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Addressing the Issue”

1. aysha on September 28th, 2018 4:28 am

dress codes should be put in place.
    if someone wants to show their skin not necassarily everyone wants to see that person’s skin.
    We go to school to learn, there is a place and time of everything .
    There is a Saying when in Rome do as the Romans do.
    So when in school do as the school authorities say.
    Also we won’t go to a nude beach in full clothes right !
    So girls know freedom doesn’t mean annoying other people freedom means respecting others too .
    I get very uncomfortable when I see short shorts personallay and no we can’t look away because the person is right there .

2. Hafsah on September 30th, 2018 11:02 pm

preach sister u know how it goes “when in Rome do as the Romans do”

*

Addressing the Issue