High School: Lessons Learned That Count the M

High school is a primitive part of adolescence in finding out who you are, who you want to be, and who you wish to surround yourself with. While that may sound just like middle school, the biggest difference is that in high school you will find yourself becoming independent, and some may graduate on the road to adulthood.

How exactly does high school affect you as you leave the campus for the last time, and what will stay with you the most through the rest of your life?

For me, I will take a few lessons I learned with me, and looking back, wish someone had told me then the things I know now.

As a senior, part of the attitude that goes with senioritis is that I am not afraid to be totally honest with people. That means, if someone is being distracting in class or rude to others I will tell that person it is not right. Some of those people may see this as rude, but really it goes along with the new ‘see something, say something’ campaign going on. Some seniors may take the air of “I don’t care” because they realize that the drama that goes along with high school  truly will not matter tomorrow, in one week, or years to come. This is true, but that attitude can easily be turned into a positive, helpful one.

The biggest tip I have taken with me all four years, and will continue to take with me to college is always being on good terms with teachers. In my experiences I have sometimes been called a ‘teacher’s pet,’ which may be a joke, but also can be a form of bullying.

Being nice to teachers, having conversations with them, or lending some help during class does not mean what some may think. Rather, it means putting yourself out there to be helpful and allow teachers to see that you care about your education. The more that you care about your education, the more willing teachers will be to help you when you need something. What do you gain from class if you spend the entire time getting yelled at by a teacher, or sitting in the office? You can be the ‘popular’ or the ‘loud-mouth’ kid in class without getting in trouble or disrupting class.

Going back to a piece of advice once told to eighth graders, this prediction has proven to be true: by the time you graduate, you will be able to count the number of good friends you have on one hand. Through the years I have come to realize that you meet so many different people, and at times may try to know the most people, whether to become the ‘most popular’ or ‘coolest person,’ but in the end the most loyal friends will stay.

One lesson I had to learn this year was that when your best friends meet new people, and you make new friends, it is hard to stay the best of friends unless both groups mix together. As you grow older, your time gets split as you begin getting jobs, preparing for college, and that the most appealing people you should spend your time with are inclusive people. Because it is hard to stay best friends with people who exclude others, cause drama, and then you realize that the people you should have spent time and energy on are those who brought out the best of you.

It really is possible to go through high school drama free, if you have the right attitude. Being able to count your friends on one hand does not mean you are not popular, loved or appreciated – it means being able to fully trust the people who have been around the most.

Some friends may stick with you through high school,and perhaps some into college,but the most important things are the lessons learned and what you contributed to this place, people, and how it made you change. For better or for worse, it is up to you to decide what to do with your high school experience, and how to make it happen.