Survival Guide for Finals

Image by Haley Wolsieffer.
Image by Haley Wolsieffer.

As the end of the year approaches, students will have to take final exams in their classes. While this is often a time of stress for students, there are tips and tricks to help students prepare and succeed this exam season.

Don’t procrastinate studying
Students often wait until the night before to study for their exams. Studying multiple times throughout the week leading up to the exam can help students more than studying hours the night before. Students are more likely to remember the content if they study many times before the exam.

Get sleep
Students should try to get at least 8 hours of sleep so they can be well rested before finals. Get studying out of the way before bed. A good night’s sleep will help a student think clearly and remember the day of the exam.

Eat breakfast
Eating a good meal or snack can make a big difference in a student’s concentration during a test. Food such as fruit, eggs, yogurt and oatmeal are good examples of a healthy breakfast. Also, remember to drink lots of water!

Study in cafes or somewhere where you are more productive
Sometimes studying at home or in your room can cause students to get distracted and unproductive. Changing the scenery such as going to a cafe to study can create fewer distractions and a more productive atmosphere.

Be Creative with study methods and switch it up sometimes
Switching up study methods can help students memorize and understand concepts for their exams. Remember to eliminate distractions such as phones or TV that would prevent you from studying!

Students have varying strategies to study that work for them. Senior Meenu Meyyappan has had many tests and exams over her years in high school. She has tried many different tricks to help her succeed.

“Unfortunately most of the time I would procrastinate until the very last minute, but I’ve learned that studying with friends always helps,” Meyyappan said. “I also think taking breaks while studying is very important. For example, my friends and I would take yoga breaks while studying for tests. It was very fun and helped me relax.”