The Lady Maverick Varsity Volleyball Win Against Stony Point, Finishes Season on High Note

The+Lady+Maverick+volleyball+team+huddles+in+a+break+between+the+sets.+The+girls+encouraged+each+other+and+talked+about+the+previous+sets.+
Image by Beka Mills
The Lady Maverick volleyball team huddles in a break between the sets. The girls encouraged each other and talked about the previous sets.

The Lady Mavs ended their season strong, winning all three sets against the Stony Point Tigers.  In the first set player Hannah Weaver scored the first point, and the points just kept coming in after that. During an exciting moment in the set players Zoey Fraizer, Katie Burnett, and Kara Teal worked together to get the ball from up in the rafters to over the net for a point. With each passing time out the team was a  step closer to the overall win.  The girls also dominated in the second and third set, and several times the Lady Mavs sent the Stony Points girls scrambling for the ball. During the third set there was an upset over a point originally given to the Stony Point girls, but then after a discussion with the referees our Lady Mavericks were given the point.“We expected to win against Stony Point and the girls played like they wanted to win,” Coach Karen Huffman said, “I think they wanted to win for the seniors. I’m really glad we ended on a high note.”Since this game against Stony Point was the last one of the season, the girls had their senior night. For the senior night the senior players, Katie Burnett and Sammy Snook, sang the National Anthem along with Maddie Socha.

“Sammy and I just really wanted to sing,” senior Katie Burnett said.

For the final game the varsity cheerleading team and some of the Majestics came to cheer on the Lady Mavs, along with many other students and parents cheering loudly in the stands. The cheers came with the points continuously scored.

“We improved a lot from last year and got a lot better, “ sophomore Hannah Weaver said, “But, we could have done better.”

After the exciting win against Stony Point the team received possibly more exciting news. Pflugerville had used an illegal player and the DEC decided to forfeit the games this player had been a part of, which could put the Lady Mavs into place to be a part of more competition. The volleyball team would have been tied with the Cedar Ridge team, but Cedar Ridge played two games against Pflugerville while our Mavericks only played one. So, by a technicality Cedar Ridge got the fourth place spot.

“This taught us a big lesson for next year- that every game counts,” Coach Karen Huffman   said, “Then we don’t have to worry about advancing on a technicality.”