Dragons Too Tough for Mavericks on Homecoming

Image by Kat Armstrong
Donnie Holmes tackled by a host of Round Rock players. Despite the Mavs gaining over 470 yards of offense, 8 turnovers doomed the Mavs in a 55-28 defeat.

Despite holding a 21-17 lead at halftime over the rival Round Rock Dragons last Friday night at the KRAC, the Mavs came out flat after halftime festivities, getting dominated in the second half en route to a 55-28 defeat. Turnovers were the key to the outcome of this game as the Mavs ended up with eight, with six in the second half.In the first half, the Mavs got scoring runs from Colton Russell and Jimmy Jones; and following Jones’ 1-yard plunge, the Mavs got the ball right back after the Dragons fumbled the ensuing kickoff.

When the Mavs capitalized on the turnover with Donnie Holmes’ 3-yard run, the student section went into a frenzy. McNeil had all the momentum going into the locker room, and could have been up more if not for two red zone turnovers.

Halftime may have been the Mavs’ biggest enemy of the night, as the second half turned into a collapse. Following a Round Rock touchdown, the Mavs turned the ball over on what would be the common theme in the second half.

Despite gaining more than 470 yards, the Mavs were only able to score once in the second half, which made the final score 55-28.

The same problems came back to haunt the Mavs again.

“Too many turnovers and too many missed tackles again,” senior offensive lineman Spencer Pepper said.

The Mavs next take on Hendrickson at Hawk Stadium on Nov. 2. at 7 p.m.