Tennis Falls in Round 1; Eyes Set on Spring

Image by Cindy Wu
Freshmen Jack Cohen and Zach Minns take on Plano West in the number three doubles match.

After a historically successful season, the Maverick tennis team lost in the first round at the regional tournament to Plano West. The match, at Robert E. Lee High School in Tyler, Texas, on Oct. 26, was intended to begin at 9 a.m., but several hours of rain pushed the match to a 2 o’clock start that afternoon. Once the courts were dry, the Mavs took on the two-seeded Plano West team, a program that has made it to state the last few years.

In an attempt to grab some matches for the team, senior Brandon Minns and his partner, junior Pooshan Shah, won their first set of doubles at the number two slot. However, an experienced Plano West team stole the next two sets and took the win.

On the other set of courts, senior Sarang Bhadsavle and his partner, senior Jared Hahne, dropped their first set at the number one doubles slot. Putting up a fight, they dominated the second set only to lose the third in heartbreaking fashion, 6-4.

With the team season behind them, Maverick tennis will now prepare for district in April where players will compete individually.