Tennis Takes 1st at Spring Preview Tourney

Image by Jan Hahne
The tennis team poses with their trophies after the Panther Varsity tournament.

At the Panther Revival Varsity Tournament Nov. 2, the Maverick tennis team took first place in the team competition over 17 other teams including Rouse, Dripping Springs, Pflugerville, Vista Ridge, Leander and Austin High. Each team was awarded points for how well they did in a draw, and the Mavericks swept the competition.With the tournament being the first individual-style competition of the year, many players took advantage of their opportunities. First place finishes included: Jared Hahne and Marielle Catalos in “A” Mixed Doubles, Jack Cohen and Dan Chilarescu in “B” Boys Doubles, and Alex Minca in “B” Boys Singles.Other impressive results included: Masha Aseeva making the semifinals in “B” Girls Singles, Sarang Bhadsavle making the semifinals in “A” Boys Singles, and Cindy Wu and Julie Pham making the semifinals in “B” Girls Doubles.

The Mavericks will now prepare for the individual season to resume in January at the annual Georgetown tournament.