Lady Mavs Take 66-65 Win Against Round Rock

After a tough game against Round Rock the Lady Mavs celebrate and enjoy their victory together. They played so well, said Coach Moore, They went up against the team and won. The Lady Mavs will be playing Cedar Ridge at McNeil High School on January 18th.
Image by Amrin Madhani
After a tough game against Round Rock the Lady Mavs celebrate and enjoy their victory together. “They played so well,” said Coach Moore, “They went up against the team and won.” The Lady Mavs will be playing Cedar Ridge at McNeil High School on January 18th.
The Lady Mavs started fast leading early on Jan. 8, but the Lady Dragons were quick to take it back.The girls had countered Round Rock and managed strong guards preventing the Lady Dragons from scoring. After the first quarter, the Lady Mavs found themselves down five, 20-15.The girls huddled to plan their next move with efficient tactics. Tensions rose between the teams as well as their supporting crowds. The second quarter started with the Lady Mavs trailing by 10. The girls played rough, stealing the ball and never backing down. By halftime, the Lady Mavs were down by seven, 29-36.

Third quarter showed promise. The game became more intense and the Lady Mavs caught up to Round Rock. The Lady Mavs became much quicker at stealing the ball and getting rebounds. The Lady Dragons played even, but the Lady Mavs surged through the court. At the end of the third quarter, the Lady Mavs were only behind by one, 43-44.

“It was only a matter of small details, tactics, and minor inconveniences, but the Lady Mavs will win. I am sure of that,” coach Jennifer Moore said.

In a matter of seconds of the fourth quarter, the Lady Mavs took the lead. The score reached 65-62 but the Lady Dragons took a 3-point shot to tie score. With one minute left, the stress was high. For the girls, everything was at stake, win or lose.

After being fouled, junior Troi Swain walked to the free throw line. The outcome of the game rested in her hands. With a swoosh, the ball went in the basket.

The Lady Mavericks won with one point up, 66-65.

Next Lady Mavs game is Jan. 18 at home. The girls will play Cedar Ridge at 7:30 p.m.Moore