Super Bowl Preview

With Super Bowl Sunday this weekend, it’s time for a preview of this game. The matchup is quite intriguing pitting the San Francisco 49ers against the Baltimore Ravens. Why? Well, for the first time in recent memory I can’t name a favorite to win this game. Sure Vegas has the Niners as 3.5 point favorites, but that has already gone down from the opening line at 4.5. As far as I’m concerned, this game is a toss up. Let’s breakdown the teams for you newbies who don’t know much about football.

San Francisco 49ers: The Niners have been somewhat predictable this season, thoroughly dominating the teams they were supposed to beat, with a few impressive wins mixed in with some large defeats. The momentum for this team seemed to change, however, when the team made a switch at QB from longtime vet Alex Smith to the second-year speedster in Collin Kaepernick. The change paid off as Kaepernick led the Niners to wins over Green Bay and Atlanta in the playoffs. Other players to watch to make an impact in this game are TE Vernon Davis and WR Michael Crabtree. On defense, the team is led by linebackers Patrick Willis and Aldon Smith.

Baltimore Ravens: This team definitely has had the tougher road to the Super Bowl having to win on the road at Denver and New England. This team’s situation is much more unique than the Niners as they came into the playoffs losing 4 out of 5 before going on their run in New Orleans. The run started ever since their longtime franchise player linebacker Ray Lewis decided this would be his last season earlier in the month. If the Ravens were to win this game, it would definitely make a perfect ending for Lewis. QB Joe Flacco’s improved play during the postseason is also a big reason why the Ravens are here at Super Bowl XLVII. Other players expected to make an impact for the Ravens include WR Torrey Smith and RB Ray Rice.

Prediction: Ravens 23, San Francisco 20

In a game so evenly matched, you have to look at special teams. In a game most likely coming down to field goals, the Ravens have the advantage here in rookie Justin Tucker. The former UT Longhorn has been money this season connecting on 30-33 field goal tries. Longtime veteran David Akers is the kicker for the Niners, and he hasn’t been consistent – only making 29-42 kicks overall including a paltry 9-19 from kicks longer than 40 yards. If this game comes down to a field goal, you can bet the Ravens will win it, which is why I am going with them in this game.

Regardless if you’re actually rooting for a specific team or not, Super Bowl XLVII should be a good one.