Mavs Ready to Face Lake Travis in Playoffs

With only one game left in the regular season the Mavs faced off with Cedar Ridge in a “win and you’re in” scenario. After winning against Hendrickson in the previous game, the Mavs controlled their own destiny in the regular season’s final game. While the game with Cedar Ridge was going on at McNeil, many hopeful ears were waiting for word on the Westwood and Pflugerville match-up. If Westwood was to lose, the Mavericks would also clinch a playoff spot.

It was Senior Night for the Mavericks who were ushering out five seniors after this season. The Mavs came out firing on all cylinders led by senior point guard Corey Calbreath who had the mid-range game working for him. Calbreath really took off in the first quarter scoring the majority of the points, he finished with 22 points on the night.

Junior Trae Dilworth also helped propel the Mavericks in the first half, putting them up 34-30. Dilworth continued scoring in the second half, he was able to find his way to the basket multiple times en route to a 28-point performance.

Cedar Ridge used the three ball to stay within striking distance of the Mavericks. Then in the fourth quarter, the Raiders made their move outscoring the Mavericks 15-8. The game tied at 58 with over a minute left, the Raiders held the ball until there was only seconds left and passed into the corner where they sunk a game-winning corner three.

Even with the loss the Mavs clinched a playoff spot with Westwood getting run over by Pflugerville. The Mavs will enter the playoffs as a fourth-ranked team in district, matching them up with district 15-5A’s top team, the Lake Travis Cavaliers. The game will be at Vandegrift High School Tuesday at 7 p.m.

The mentality now switches to “win or go home” with every game possibly being the last for these five seniors.