Mavs Heat Up Heading into Playoffs

Image by Kelley Starnes
The Mavericks huddle up before a crucial free throw against Westwood

With the time left in the season quickly running out and the playoff picture becoming more and more clear with each and every game, the Mavericks are trying to make one last push to solidify themselves as a playoff team.

A dreary first round of district left the Mavs with a lot of work to do the second time around. With all their players finally getting back to healthy, they picked up two quick wins over Stony Point and Westwood to sweep the season series on both.

With a .500 record the Mavericks faced their toughest test in the second round of district action in the Pflugerville Panthers who boasted the top record in district play.

The Mavs kept it close in the first half only trailing by nine at the break. The Panthers’ athleticism troubled the Mavs, making their press defense ineffective. The third quarter was much of the same, but the Mavs were able to outscore them 14-12 for the quarter, yet they still were trailing by seven heading into the fourth quarter.

The Mavs were able to get the deficit into striking range and after star Panther T.J Williams missed multiple crucial free throws, senior Trent Nielsen made a highlight reel play by sinking a three point shot while being fouled. He then sank the free throw to make it a four point play, giving the Mavericks the 58-57 win and the statement game they were looking for.

Riding a three game win streak, the Mavericks welcomed rival Round Rock who had beat the Mavs by 15 in the last matchup. With the largest crowd of the year in attendance and “The Ranch” filled close to capacity, tensions were high between both teams.

The Mavs jumped out to a quick lead but had no answer for Round Rock’s big man Leonard Allen, who kept them in right in the game. After an intense first half, the Mavs held a four point lead.

The game became a back and forth battle in the second half. With time winding down and the game tied, the Mavericks held the final shot. Senior Corey Calbreath’s shot rimmed out taking it to OT. There, multiple Maverick mistakes – including a missed dunk by junior Trey Dilworth who had been spectacular leading up to that point – gave Round Rock the edge and eventually the victory, ending the Mavericks’ streak.

After the tough loss, the Mavs caught a short break from district play and took on the Rouse Raiders. Calbreath, who recently returned from a hand injury, led the way for the Mavs with 18 points.

“It feels great knowing that I can be in the game to help the team win,” Calbreath said. “Since we now have all 12 players healthy, we have won our last four out of five.”

With the battle for the final playoff spot in full effect, McNeil is in control of its own destiny. If the Mavs win both of their last two games against Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge, then they will claim the final spot since the Mavs own the tiebreaker over Westwood. If they lose one of those games, then they will have to depend on Westwood losing to Pflugerville. Either way the Mavs have some work to do before they enter the playoffs.

“The expectation for the next two games is to win both and be at our peak heading into playoffs,” Calbreath said.