Mavs Lose Against The Heat Of the Warriors and Panthers: End Of Season Recap

Lay Mav and Lady Warrior reach for the ball and begin the game. Westwood was a tough game, said Coach Moore, No one knew what direction it would go. End of Season Recap: Lady Mavs did not make it to playoffs and train harder for next year.
Image by Amrin Madhani
Lay Mav and Lady Warrior reach for the ball and begin the game. “Westwood was a tough game,” said Coach Moore, “No one knew what direction it would go.” End of Season Recap: Lady Mavs did not make it to playoffs and train harder for next year.

Lady Mavs took on the Lady Warriors of Westwood High School in a tough game. Westwood had taken the lead and shown a great amount of energy. The ball was quickly stolen by the Mavs and reaching their potential they turned the tables and took the glory for themselves.As the game advanced scores fluctuated and the game turned into the favor of Westwood Warriors. By the time the game had finished Lady Mavs lost to Lady Warriors 40-53.

“It was a good game,” said McKenzie Lunkin, sophomore, “But we dug ourselves into a hole. We were playing great, but I guess we didn’t try as hard as we could.”

During first quarter Lady Warriors had taken the lead and guarded their ball until Lady Mavs had stolen the ball. Even with that Lady Warriors gained on the Mavs causing Coach Moore to call a timeout.

Some pep talk seemed to do the work. Lady Mavs had gotten aggressive and managed to catch up to the warriors. They played so well that they had overcome the Warriors.

Worried the Westwood coach had called a timeout and the ordeal began. The Lady Warriors began to play hard and rough and gained on the Mavs.

“We weren’t expecting this, it was bad, the team seemed to play half-heartedly after the Lady Warrior’s comeback,” said Troi Swain, point guard of the team.

When the game had ended, Westwood warriors had won by 13 points.

From the start of the game Pflugerville Panthers had taken the lead and kept up with it. A tough game was in front of the Lady Mavs because Lady Panthers were an undefeated team. First quarter was energizing because both teams had their head n the game and eyes on the ball. Even though Lady Panthers were coring on points Lady Mavs had managed to steal some also.

“The girls were athletically stronger than us and more taller, not to mention they were an older team,” said Carissa Black, sophomore.

The girls were stuck in a deep dig dug by the Lady Panthers as they went after the ball and scored it into their favor. They had twice as many points as Lady Mavs had and were still playing hard.

Towards the end of Halftime Lady Mavs looked and played tiered for they were really behind. The score was, 16-51, not in favor of the Mavs.

After the beginning of halftime the Lady Mavs had made their comeback. Scoring heavily points against the Pflugerville but had failed to reach their goal. Lady Panthers saw to the Lady Mavs game and prevented any balls to be allowed to go into the hoop. The guards were stronger and the plays got intense.

Many fouls were called and rebounds missed. The Lady Panthers were hard on Lady Mavs.

“We were killed by the end of the game, we were so far behind!” Mckenzie Lunkin.

That was true, when the game ended the Lady Mavs were devastatingly behind. They ended the game against Pflugerville High School’s Lady Panthers with a 30-77 score.

“It was a frustrating game but it also gave us a chance to learn. We saw how teams played and with more training and improvement we can be a better team,” said Troi Swain, “ Our goal is to make the playoffs next year and show them what we are made of.”