Good Pitching, Bottom of 7th Run Lead Mavs to Victory

Image by Kelley Starnes
Junior Clayton Haag pitches against Southlake Carroll in the Round Rock Hardball Classic. The Mavericks lost their opening game of the season 11-3.

The lights glowed down on the field at Maverick Stadium for the first time this season Thursday night. After weeks of hard work, the time had come for the Mavs to showcase their skills.The Mavs took on LD Bell in game two of the Round Rock Hardball Classic and it was a nail biter until the end. Senior Sean Mason started on the mound for the Mavs and looked strong through six innings.“I went out there trying to give my team a chance to win and really compete by executing pitches,” Mason said.Pitching was the key in this game as the teams were pretty silent on both sides. The Mavs jumped out on top in the first with an RBI single by senior Austin Hinkle scoring senior Tim Hunter from second base. At this point, it was up to Mason and the pitching of the Mavs to hold the bats of their opponents. Through six innings, the Mavs were able to keep the Bell bats silent keeping the score 1-0 in their favor.Entering into the seventh inning the Mavs needed to hold Bell to not scoring any runs and the Mavs would walk away with a win. Junior Noah Clarkson closed out the game for the Mavs in the seventh and gave up one run to tie the game at one each and send it into the bottom of the seventh.Needing a rally, the Mavs looked to score the winning run. Junior Max Adler stepped up to the plate with runners on first and second for a chance to win the game. Adler was able to get ahead in the count with 2 balls and 0 strikes.

“I knew once the pitcher was down 2 and 0, I was gonna see a nice fastball,” Adler said.

Adler ripped a ball to the fence in right field to score the runner from second base and win the game for the Mavs, 2-1.